Saturday, September 15, 2018

Kreepy Cittens: A synopsis of synapses



Kreepy Cittens, photo art by Clara G. Herrera

This word kept creeping in my head today: synapses. Repeatedly, it was there: synapses, synapses, synapses.

That happens to me sometimes. After decades of words invading my mind, I have just learned to accept it.  A dictionary defines synapses as "A junction between two nerve cells, consisting of a minute gap across which impulses pass by diffusion of a neurotransmitter."

Oh Lord, if you wonder what that is, finding out is like neuroscience because it is. It's to do with how the brain transfers information, I think. Since I ain't no brain studying-er I am incapable of fully defining its meaning  simply for you. 

Yet, that word remains in my head today, and it is important. My brain is thinking about the brain.

Synapses

As a kid, I'd sometimes latch onto a word without knowing its meaning. I'd be fast asleep at night. A word would invade my head that I didn't know and wake me. I couldn't sleep because of the incessant word plaguing my mind. I would throw off the covers, and even say out loud, "OK already!" There were many phrases that blanketed  that one word.  It was like a quilt surrounding that one word.  I'd plop down prose and poems on my dad's 1950s Smith-Corona typewriter, too tired to look up these new expressions.

When I was more awake, I'd use a dictionary to look them up. They almost always fit grammatically and in their definition. I didn't think anything of it. That is just how my brain worked and I had no comparison. I still don't. But, I know my life has never been without writing since the 2nd grade when I realized what true writing was.

 If you haven't figured it out already, I was that kid who read the encyclopedia for fun. Now, I'm the adult who goes down the rabbit hole of Wikipedia for amusement.

There was no art or mathematics then, just words, phrases, poems and silly stories of a youth who had no life experiences growing up in Tye, Texas.

Now there is art, writing, science, equations, and a synapses of brain connections that cull them all together with life experiences that can not be quelled.

 Synapses.

The brain is a pretty amazing place to be. It is a shock and awe akin to fireworks going off in our heads at all times.

Synapses, an interesting word. 

(Enriching music: Delilah, Queen; Mathematical Mind, Spoon)





No comments:

Post a Comment